Electrical safety is often an overlooked maintenance matter in the home. Electrical hazards can easily be identified by conducting regular home checks.
The Sunburst Electric team has compiled an easy-to-use checklist from Eskom to ensure that you know how to make your home safer.
Plugs and Electric Sockets
Plugs are an essential part of our daily lives as we depend on electricity for almost everything we do. The following tips are to be used when buying and using plugs.
- Only use SABS approved plugs.
- Do not overload plugs, if you need additional outlets, contact Sunburst Electric on 087 551 1000 to safely install points where required.
- Do not pull plugs out by the cord.
- Be sure to always switch the plug off at the wall socket before pulling the plug out.
- Do not stick fingers into sockets. You can have childproof plugs installed by any of our friendly Sunburst Electric service professionals.
Extension cords play an essential role in our environment as they represent a potential safety hazard. These tips should be used to minimise any potential dangers that could arise out of incorrect cord usage:
- Never use frayed cords – replace them immediately.
- Cords should be kept away from hot stoves or other hot surfaces at all times.
- Do not place cords under carpets and rugs.
- Never join cords with tape.
- Always use SABS approved electrical wires or cords.
- Use light bulbs at or below the maximum wattage listed on your lamp or light-fitting.
- Make sure that lamps are placed on a flat level surface and are at a safe distance from any flammable items, such as curtains.
General electrical safety tips
- Always make sure that the current is switched off before changing a light bulb.
- Don’t ever use anything that is made of metal to remove toast from a toaster when plugged in.
- Request an electrician to conduct regular inspections to ensure safety.
- Don’t ever fill a kettle with water when it’s plugged in.
- Never use water to put out an electrical if the main switch is not switched off, rather use a fire extinguisher.
Contact Sunburst Electric if you experience any of these warning signs:
- If there’s a tingling sensation when you touch a plug or light switch.
- When your circuit breaker keeps tripping or appliance fuses blow frequently.
- If there’s a burning or electrical heating odour from an appliance.
- When your electrical outlet covers are discoloured or warm to the touch.
- When there’re electrical sparks from a power outlet and
- If your lights are dim or flicker.
- If you see sparks or smoke from an electrical appliance, unplug it and call us to come and check it out for you.
To ensure that our customers remain safe during this lockdown period, we’re offering a 10% discount on all work completed until 16 April 2020.
You can qualify for the 10% discount by quoting the code COVID-19 when contacting Sunburst Electric. Dial us today on 087 55 11 000, or book online