Electricity is an integral part of everyday life. With many people still working from home, electrical faults in the home pose a greater and more noticeable challenge than before. When the electricity and electrical systems in our residential homes fail or malfunction, it can be daunting to have to figure out why and how to handle the fallout.
Don’t panic, though, because Sunburst Electrical is ready to help, and get your home back up and running as soon as possible.
Let’s start by looking at electrical faults, and the most common signs & causes of electrical faults in residential homes.
What is an Electrical Fault?
Electrical faults originate in the conductor, the electrical wiring within the circuit. An electrical fault is caused when electrical wiring malfunctions or deteriorates and the current’s natural flow through the circuit is obstructed. Faulty wiring is unfortunately a relatively common — and potentially extremely dangerous — problem many residential home owners have to manage.
How Common are Electrical Faults in Residential Homes?
Electrical faults can be the result of a myriad of different and varying causes, or a combination of multiple factors. Most residential home owners will have to deal with some type of electrical fault in their electrical systems eventually, even if it may be a minor fault not posing any danger to residents. The best way to ensure the safety of your family and home is to familiarize yourself with the most common signs and causes of electrical faults.
Common Signs of Electrical Faults
- Frequent power dips and surges
- Flickering lights
- Broken/malfunctioning light switches
- Frequent circuit breaker trips
- Short circuits in your electrical system
- Unexplainably high electricity bill
Common Causes of Electrical Faults
- Loose outlet covers or exposed wires
- Using damaged appliances, extension cords, or plugs
- Overloading a circuit
- Outdated and weathered electrical systems
Common Hazardous Signs of Electrical Faults
While any sign of an electrical fault should be investigated, not all the signs or potential causes of electrical faults pose a significant danger to residents. However, there are some signs and potential causes that should never be ignored. Ignoring these signs can result in extremely dangerous consequences, such as electrical fires and even fatal electrocution.
If you notice any of the following dangerous signs of electrical faults in your home, contact a trained professional as soon as possible:
- Seeing a bright flash/spark when using a device/outlet/switch/socket.
- Being shocked when using a device/outlet/switch/socket.
- Having to frequently replace light bulbs that are rapidly burned out by fittings.
- Outlets/switches/sockets overheating.
- Hearing a buzzing or crackling sound coming from outlets/switches.
- Seeing scorch marks or smoke coming from an outlet/switch/socket.
- Noticing a burning smell coming from an outlet/switch/socket.
- Animal/rodent activity that has damaged cables/wires.
How Sunburst can help
Here at Sunburst Electric, your safety is our top priority. We know how important it is to provide your family (people and pets alike) with a safe and functional living space.
Our qualified service professionals are expertly trained to work as efficiently and safely as possible. We have specialised skills & equipment, and years of experience with fault finding. We will be able to troubleshoot your home’s entire electrical system to identify any and all possible faults, suggest the best solution/s to fix the problem/s, and offer the relevant repairs or upgrades necessary.
If you suspect an electrical fault in your home’s electrical system, contact us today for specialist advice and Expert Electrical Service.