Have you been disregarding these common electrical problems around your home? You may be able to fix it yourself!
Common Electrical Problems in Your House: Harmless or Hazardous?
- Loose Outlet Plug – Turn off the breaker. Double check for voltage to the socket (use a voltmeter or plug something in). Unscrew the cover plate and add outlet shims until the outlet is flush with the wall.
- Broken Light Switch
- Simple Short Circuit – Some electrical appliances, such as hair dryers, can frequently trip or short circuit. Reset the breaker. Repeated occurrences with the same appliance indicate it’s the appliance – not the electrical system. Without the appliance? A short in the wiring or socket needs to be addressed by a pro.
- Flickering or Dimming Lights. This could be a sign of a poor connection and can lead to eventual arcing – loose/corroded connections making intermittent contact that could result in sparking, overheating, and fire.
- Light Bulbs Burn Out Frequently. If you’re experiencing frequent bulb blowouts, it could be more serious than overuse. You may have a loose connection in the socket or circuit.
- Dead Outlets. Dead outlets can result from a tripped poor connection (and possible arcing), or a tripped breaker due to excessive heat build-up resulting in melted wires or outlets.
- Warm Sockets or Switches. Unless it is a dimming switch, warm sockets or switches are as a serious safety concern and should be addressed by a pro immediately.
- Frequently Tripping Breakers. Usually a sign the circuit is overloaded and using too much electricity. You should add a circuit or consider upgrading your electrical service.
Electrical problems have you in over your head?
Don’t be a DIY daredevil. Dealing with electrical components is not like dealing with drywall – electrical problems can bite! And while drywall can be cheaply and easily replaced, you cannot. If you don’t have the tools or expertise necessary to tackle these common electrical problems, Sunburst Electric can help.